William Lincoln Smith Professor
Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
334 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Office: 467 Egan Research Center
- PhD (1983), Mechanical Engineering, Oklahoma State University
- Development of tools and processes to conduct fast massive directed assembly of nanoscale elements (such as nanotubes, nanoparticles, nanorods, nanowires, etc.)
- High-rate printing 2D and 3D nanoscale structures. This includes developing templates to direct the assembly of nanoscale structures in a short time and over a large area.
- Nano-scale particle transport, deposition, adhesion and removal, contamination-free manufacturing in semiconductor processes, disk drive and image display, particulate contamination in CVD and sputtering processes.
- Nano-scale technologies. Physical modeling of semiconductor processes.
- Computational fluid dynamics, turbulence modeling, transport phenomena.
Honors and Awards
- 2013 Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology’s Willis J. Whitfield Award.
- 2006 Nanotech Briefs National Nano50™ Award, category: Innovator, National
- 2006 Outstanding Faculty, SØren Buus Outstanding Research Award, Northeastern University
- 2005 Aspiration Award, Northeastern University
- 2005 Induction, Alpha Nu Chapter, Phi Beta Delta
- 2004 Guest of Honor, Opening Ceremony, MicroBio Chip Research Center, Hanyang University, Ansan, Korea
- 2000 ASMC DuPont Photomasks Best Paper Award, Annual IEEE/SEMI Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Conference
- 1999 Elected as R. L. Patrick Fellow of the Adhesion Society
- 1997 ASME Computers in Engineering Division Chair Award
- 1997 ASME Computers in Engineering Conference Chair Award
- 1996 Elected as a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- 1993, 1994 Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, Egypt
- 1993 Elected as an Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- 1990 Best Paper Award, ASME Computers in Engineering Conference
- 1990 John W. Graham, Jr. Faculty Research Award, Clarkson University
- 1988 Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- 1988 Northeastern Region AIAA Faculty Advisor Award
- 1986 Ralph R. Teetor National Educational Award, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- 1986 AIAA Northeastern Region Special Service Citation Award
- G. Li, C. Yilmaz, Xi. An, S. Somu, S. Kar, Y.J Jung, A. Busnaina, and K.T Wan, "Adhesion of graphene sheet on nano-patterned substrates with nano-pillar array," J. Appl. Phys. 113, 244303 (2013).
- T.H Kim, A. Busnaina, J.G Park and D.S Kim, "Nanoscale Particle Removal Using Wet Laser Shockwave Cleaning," ECS, J. Solid State Sci. Technol. 2012 vol. 1, issue 2, pp.70-77.
- A. Malima, S. Siavoshi, T. Musacchio, J. Upponi, C. Yilmaz, S. Somu, W. Hartner, V. Torchilin and A. Busnaina, "Highly sensitive microscale in vivo sensor enabled by electrophoretic assembly of nanoparticles for multiple biomarker detection," Lab on a Chip Journal, Sep 2012
- J. Huang, A. Datar, S. Somu and A. Busnaina,"A molybdenum disulfide/carbon nanotube heterogeneous complementary inverter", Nanotechnology, Vol 23, 335203 (2012).
- J. Huang, A. Datar, S. Somu, and A. Busnaina, "Modulating the performance of carbon nanotube field-effect transistors via Rose Bengal molecular doping", Nanotechnology, Vol. 22, 455202 (2011). http://iopscience.iop.org/0957-4484/22/45/455202/
- B. Li , H.Y Jung , H. Wang , Y.L. Kim , T.H. Kim , M.G. Hahm , A. Busnaina , M. Upmanyu , and Y.j. Jung, "Ultra-thin SWNTs Films with Tunable, Anisotropic Transport Properties", Advanced Functional Materials, 21, 2011, pp. 1810-1815.
- S. Siavoshi, C. Yilmaz, S. Somu, T. Musacchio, J. Upponi, V. Torchilin, and A. Busnaina, "Size-Selective Template-assisted Electrophoretic Assembly of Nanoparticles for Biosensing Applications," J of ACS, Langmuir, 27, pp. 7301-03 (2011).
- A.E. Çetin, A.A. Yanik, C. Yilmaz, S. Somu, A. Busnaina and H. Altug, "Optical Trapping, Spectroscopy and Sensing with Monopole Antenna Arrays," Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, pp.111110-03 (2011).
- C. Yilmaz, Cihan, T.H. Kim, S. Somu, and A. Busnaina, "Large-Scale Nanorods Nanomanufacturing by Electric-Field-Directed Assembly for Nanoscale Device Applications," IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, VOL. 9, NO. 5, September 2010, pp.653-658.
- V. Liberman, C. Yilmaz, T.M. Bloomstein, S. Somu, Y. Echegoyen, A. Busnaina, S.G. Cann, K.E. Krohn, M.F. Marchant, and M. Rothschild, M., "A Nanoparticle Convective Directed Assembly Process for the Fabrication of Periodic Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy Substrates," Advanced Materials, Volume 22, Issue 38, pages 4298–4302, October 8, 2010.
- S. Somu, H. Wang, Y.L. Kim, L. Jaberansari, M.G. Hahm, B. Li, T.H. Kim, X. Xiong, Y.J. Jung, M. Upmanyu, and A. Busnaina,"Topological Transitions in Carbon Nanotube Networks via Nanoscale Confinement," ACS Nano, 4, 4142-4148 (2010)
- S. Hu, T.H. Kim, J.G. Park, and A. Busnaina, "Effect of Different Deposition Mediums on the Adhesion and Removal of Particles," Journal of the Electrochemical Soc., 157 (6), (2010).
- C.L. Chen, C.F Yang, V. Agarwal, T.H. Kim, S. Sonkusale, A. Busnaina, M. Chen and M. R. Dokmeci, "DNA-decorated Carbon-Nanotube-Based Chemical Sensors On Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor Circuitry," Nanotechnology 21 (2010).
- T.G. Kim, K. Wostyn, P. Mertens, A. Busnaina and J.G. Park, "Collapse Behavior And Forces Of Multistack Nanolines," Nanotechnology 21 (2010) 015708 (7pp).
- Pegah Karimi, Taehoon Kim, Juan Aceros, Jingoo Park and Ahmed A. Busnaina, "The removal of nanoparticles from sub-micron trenches using megasonics," Microelectronic Engineering, 87 (2010) pp. 1665–1668.
- Busnaina, Ahmed, Nanomanufacturing Handbook, Taylor and Francis Group, CRC Press, 2007, ISBN 0-8493-3326-1.
- R. L. Patrick Fellow, Adhesion Society
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Member, American Society of Engineering Education
- Member, American Vacuum Society
- Member, Electrochemical Society
- Senior Member, Institute of Environmental Sciences
- Life Member, Fulbright Association
- Member, Materials Research Society