Professor and Chair
Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
334 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Office: 334L Snell Engineering
- PhD (1995), Nuclear Engineering,
University of California at Los Angeles
- Fabrication of nanorods, involving physical vapor deposition experiments, atomistic simulations, and theoretical formulations
- Mechanics and radiation damage of nanostructured materials using atomistic simulations
- Solar and nuclear energy technologies
- Solid mechanics - statics and dynamics
- Computational engineering science
Honors and Awards
- Fellow (2014), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Research Excellence Award (2012), Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Connecticut.
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award (2012), School of Engineering, University of Connecticut.
- Elected Membership (2011) of Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering
- Royal Society of London KTP Visiting Professorship (2010).
- Connecticut Clean Energy Fund Endowed Professorship in Sustainable Energy (2009-2013).
- School of Engineering Research Excellence Award (2007), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- President’s Award for Outstanding Performance in Research and Scholarship (2002), Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- X. B. Niu, S. P. Stagon, Hanchen Huang, J. K. Baldwin, and A. Misra, "Smallest Metallic Nanorods Using Physical Vapor Deposition", Physical Review Letters 110, 136102 (2013); this paper has been chosen as "Editors’ Suggestion", highlighted at the front page of http://prl.aps.org/, highlighted as "Synopsis in Physics", and featured in UConn Today.
- L. G. Zhou and Hanchen Huang, "Controversy over Elastic Constants Based on Interatomic Potentials", Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology – ASME Transaction 135, 11010 (2013).
- Hanchen Huang and Helena van Swygenhoven, "Atomistic Simulations of Mechanics of Nanostructures", MRS Bulletin 34, 160-163, (2009).
- Hanchen Huang, Insight: Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, in Sandia Technology, Fall Issue of 2007; pp 8-9, and cover page on the back.
- Hanchen Huang, Texture Evolution during Thin Film Deposition, in Handbook of Materials Modeling, Springer Science and Business Media, 2005.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Materials International
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers International (elected fellow)
- Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society (elected senior member)
- Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (elected member)
- Materials Research Society
- US Association for Computational Mechanics