Jose Martinez Lorenzo
Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
334 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Office: 211 Snell Engineering Center
- PhD (2005), Electrical Engineering, University of Vigo (Spain)
- Compressive sensing and modeling using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Computational methods for differential and integral equations
- Physics-based signal processing, imaging and optimization
- Explosives detection: portal-based, standoff-based, and underground-based
- Multimodal breast cancer detection: x-ray and thermoacoustic-tomography
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Micro-sized microwave atmospheric sounding satellites
- Mathematical Methods for Engineers
- Statistics and Probability
- Electromagnetic and Acoustic Fields and Waves
- Antennas and Radiation
Honors and Awards
- "Best Paper Award" on the 2012 IEEE Homeland Security Technology Conference, Waltham, MA, for the paper: "A Compressed Sensing Approach for Detection of Explosive Threats at Standoff Distances using a Passive Array of Scatters."
- First prize on the 2012 National Security Innovation Competition (NSIC). Advisor for students that presented our research project: "Next Generation Millimeter-Wave Body Imaging for Concealed Threat Detection," University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS).
- Paper featured in the cover page: J. G. Meana, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al, "DIRECT: deterministic radio-electric coverage tool," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 53(2):135–145, April 2011.
- Paper featured in the cover page: J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al. "ICARA: Induced Current Analysis of Reflector Antennas." IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 47(2):92–100, March 2005.
- B. Valdes, Y. Alvarez, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al, "On the use of improved imaging techniques for the development of a multistatic three-dimensional millimeter-wave portal for personnel screening. Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER, 138:83–98, 2013.
- L. Tirado, B. Valdes, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al "GPU implementation of the Modified Equivalent Current Approximation (MECA) method," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal,27(9)726–733, September 2012.
- J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al. "SAR imaging of suicide bombers wearing concealed explosive threats," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 125:255–272, 2012.
- Y. Alvarez, B. Valdes, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al, "3D Whole Body Imaging for Detecting Explosive-Related Threats," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 60(9):4453–4458, September 2012.
- J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, C. M. Rappaport and F. Quivira. "Physical Limitations on detecting tunnels using underground focusing spotlight synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 59(1):65–70, January 2011.
- A. Farid, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, A. Alshanabkeh and C. M. Rappaport, "Experimental validation of a numerical forward model for tunnel detection using cross-borehole radar," J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 138(12), 1537–1541.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers International (ASME)
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S)
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMB-S)
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (GRS-S)
- IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (AES-S)
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S)