Northeastern’s College of Engineering announces
the formation of a Bioengineering Department
Created in response to rapidly increasing student interest, expanding bioengineering research opportunities and exponential industry growth, the new Department will
- develop BS and MS degree programs in Bioengineering
- integrate the College’s existing PhD program in Bioengineering
- provide real-world experiential learning for students via hands-on research and cooperative education opportunities
- develop world-class research programs to address compelling health and sustainability challenges
Intrinsically interdisciplinary, the new department will engage faculty from across the college and university, developing programs in:
- Biocomputing & Information Processing (bioimaging, bioinformatics, simulation)
- Systems & Synthetic Biology (biomotor control, cell and tissue engineering, environmental biology, mechanobiology, metabolic engineering)
- Biodevices (biomaterials, bioMEMs, legal and regulatory issues, nanomaterials)
Northeastern’s ideal location in close proximity to Boston-area medical campuses and the extensive Boston biotech industry will be a strong driver in both research collaborations and the student experience.
This is a very exciting time in the College of Engineering, as significant investments are being made to recruit world-class faculty (53 hires since 2010), enhance our state-of-the-art research facilities, and build a community of accomplished students.
The search for the Inaugural Department Chair has been initiated.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Lee Makowski
Bioengineering Department Interim Chair
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Chemistry and Chemical Biology