Typical Mechanical Engineering Coop Job Descriptions
Position 1. Medical Device
The applicant will assist in the development and analysis of products, materials, processes, or equipment. Under direct supervision/guidance, compiles, analyzes and reports operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified products, processes, or materials.
- Undertakes and successfully completes simple or basic project/product development tasks to include any of the following: writing and/or verifying specifications, maintaining product/process documentation, testing processes, equipment, raw materials and product, and validating equipment and processes.
- May assist in inventing / creating concepts and designs/approaches for new products/processes/test methods.
- Designs, procures, and fabricates simple tooling and fixtures.
- Designs and coordinates engineering tests and experiments.
- Prepares standard reports/documentation to communicate results to technical community.
- Completes basic tasks on engineering documentation.
- Train technicians/operators on new processes and/or test procedures.
- Identifies areas for improvement, suggests solutions, and submits idea records
- SolidWorks knowledge is a plus
Quality Systems Duties and Responsibilities
- Build quality into all aspects of their work by maintaining compliance to all quality requirements.
Position 2. Robotics
- analyze and test components and subsystems for robotic vehicles,
- interface with designers to develop documentation and manufacturing specifications for components,
- build prototypes and interfacing with technicians in assembly and testing of components and sub-assemblies,
- perform stress, thermal and performance analysis on parts and sub-systems.
ME interns with shop experience, mill, lathe, general shop tools, sheet metal work, and prototyping simple fixtures preferred. Software skills needed: Solidworks, ProE, Labview and Excel. Interns must be motivated and eager to learn industry concepts, have excellent communications skills, and be a team player.
- Build prototypes and interface with technicians in assembly and testing of components and sub-assemblies
- Perform stress, thermal and performance analysis on parts and sub-systems
- Undergraduate student in Mechanical Engineering
- Hands-on experience valued highly
- Software skills: Solidworks, ProE, Labview and Excel.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Must be motivated and eager to learn industry concepts.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a team player and able to get along with individuals from other groups in the organization.
- Fast paced, demanding and fun
Position 3. Robotics
Responsible for mechanical engineering tasks in a production environment. Must be able to work in a fast pace engineering/production environment and meet critical deadlinesand have fun doingit.The candidate should be familiar/proficient with SolidWorks as it will be used on a daily basis. Candidate should also be familiar with Excel.
- Assist engineers in design aspects of various autonomous underwater vehicles, while using design analysis including, but not limited to buoyancy, vibration, stress, and pressure.
- Create concepts for vehicles that meet the requirements desired by the customer.
- Investigate and correct problems in current vehicle designs.
- Cleanup old models and drawings to ensure they are up to date.
- Cleanup Bills of materials to ensure that they are up to date and call out the correct parts for ease of manufacturability.
- Work with machine shops to have new parts created.
- Work on engineering change orders.
- Convert/create drawings in Solid Works.
- Go out with the Hydroid team and help run missions with the vehicles for testing in open water.
Position 4. Alternative Energy – Test Engineer
The Test Engineer Co-op will be a key team member in an aggressive product development effort to develop next generation portable power systems. As part of a multidisciplinary team, the Test Engineer Co-op will have broad responsibility for managing and characterizing electrochemical test systems for novel battery products.
- Understand electrochemical tests procedures
- Compile and analyze test data
- Build a database of existing battery life data
- Summarize performance under various test conditions
- Interact with engineers and researchers
- Perform root cause analysis
The position requires a high level of judgment, individual drive and flexibility to work in a rapidly developing entrepreneurial environment. The successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver with excellent interaction skills, capable of rapidly integrating observations and results into subsequent product development activity. The candidate must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Candidate for a bachelor degree in engineering or the sciences
- Experience in electrical and electrochemical testing is preferred
- Some experience developing and testing power storage products (batteries, fuel cells, capacitors, etc.) is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills; including demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Access is strongly preferred
- Programming experience in VBA or equivalent is strongly preferred
Position 5. Alternative Energy
The Engineering Intern will contribute to a fast-paced and growing team responsible for the design, development, testing and manufacture of a solar converter system, subsystems, mechanical components and structure. The Engineering Intern will be hands-on and support the product and process engineering teams on all aspects of the overall engineering development cycle from prototype builds to bench and process engineering testing.
This person will be responsible for building test fixtures, fabricating components in the company’s machine shop, assembling piping and pumping systems, as well as setting up instrumentation and data acquisition systems. The Engineering Intern will perform tasks independently while working closely with individual team members to ensure that objectives are met. The role requires solid hands-on and technical skills, including metal and plastic fabrication, ability to work in a machine shop, plumbing and piping, as well wiring skills. The ideal candidate is someone who develops new ideas, learns on the fly and is excited by technical challenges and aggressive time lines.
- Designs and builds fluid handling, heat transfer, process and bio engineering test systems.
- Generates test schematics, documents test set up and writes reports.
- Ensures on-time delivery of a structurally sound and leak-free test set up.
- Participates in, or runs process, product or system level engineering experiments.
- Applies continuous improvement and lessons learned to improve future results.
- Reads, interprets and understands drawings, engineering documents and specifications.
- Works with engineers and biologists, and contributes to the design and development of the company’s products and systems.
- Participates in design failure mode effects analysis and ensures product, process and system reliability and safety.
The successful candidate will be a high energy, enthusiastic self-starter with interest and aptitude in energy conversion and fluid handling systems, as well as process engineering. This person should currently be pursuing a degree in an engineering/technical discipline. Experience in the development and set up of mechanical systems, including plastic and metal fabrication is desired. SolidWorks drafting and other modeling skills are a plus.
Position 6. Product Development, Consulting
Co-ops will be required to perform the following duties: • Vendor Contact • Component Research • Material Research • Basic Design tasks as able • Solid modeling and drawings in Pro/Engineer and Solidworks • Engineering support • Evaluation of designs for moldability and manufacturability • Participation in brainstorming activities with industrial design and engineering
Applicants should have a basic understanding of mechanical design tasks, advanced understanding and experience on Pro Engineer Wildfire 2 and/or Solidworks, an ability to understand mechanical drawings, and excellent written and oral communication skills. Interested applicants are willing to engage in a wide spectrum of mechanical engineering disciplines and should be passionate about mechanical design. They must have completed at least one co-op prior to working at Altitude. Applicants with an understanding and experience using 3D surfacing techniques in Pro/Engineer or Solidworks, tolerancing, injection molded plastic design and Mechanica are a plus.
Position 7. Product Development, Consulting
Assist various senior level engineers in the design and development of a wide variety of medical, consumer and analytical products. Specific tasks include the following: Design, assemble, test and debug engineering breadboards and prototypes; Design and build test fixtures; Order parts, identify components and specifications, obtain part quotations; Perform data collection, testing and analysis; Assist in data organization and report generation; CAD layout and detailing; General office support Qualifications: The following abilities are a definite plus: Pro Engineer or Solid Works experience; Machine shop experience; Mechanical design experience.
Position 8. Product Development, Consulting
This Mechanical Product Design coop will be designing parts and assemblies as well as building and testing prototypes. Specific projects will be highly varied with some work for outside clients and some for internal projects. The coop will work directly with the company founders in a fast-paced and hands-on office environment. Development tools used by coops include Solidworks, CNC Machining and FDM rapid prototyping.
We’ve just brought in a new CNC machine and have a new FDM rapid prototyper. Students will get trained and run both of these – fun stuff!
Position 9. Aerospace
Assistant Process Engineer
- Assist process Engineers to establish and improve component repair processes. Create and update work instructions as required. Interface with shop personnel to work through and solve various engineering issues. Participate with restructuring activities to build repair flow lines Participate in Root Cause and Corrective Action teams. Specific skills to be gained from this assignment: Knowledge of various repair processes and creating work instructions more specific to surface treatments (plasma spray, HVOF, shot peening, surface coatings, etc.) Knowledge of reprocessing parts to flow lines Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications Knowledge of Autocad/Unigraphics/or other CAD systems Knowledge of how to perform effective Root Cause and Corrective/Preventive Actions Exposure to robot programming.
- Roles include component design and testing, life mgt., aerodynamic and thermodynamic design, performance, stress analysis, vibration analysis, and engine tests. Most projects rely on PCs or workstations to utilize modeling techniques. Engine Services roles provide the unique experience of working hands-on with engine components and component repair processes. Most projects require constant interaction with engineering and customer support staff. Mfg. roles include cycle time reduction, product flow, workstation design and tooling, material handling, and environmental health and safety. Materials roles provide opportunities to evaluate and characterize materials and processes for use in aircraft engines.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA, unrestricted work authorization
Postion 10. Commissioning Agent and Energy Efficiency
The co-op position requires some understanding of the whole building commissioning process. The co-op student should have the ability to write functional performance tests. The co-op will interact with trade contractors and lead the testing of building systems. The position requires some background and interest in the construction process, building systems troubleshooting and the ability to write sections of the final commissioning report.
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Keep abreast of latest Energy Efficient Technologies and advancements and distribute new information to colleagues.
- Utilize utility screening software to evaluate projects for incentives, twenty year cash flow projections and payback analysis.
- Evaluate and determine the feasibility of various cogeneration systems. Will utilize cogeneration software to determine Return on Investment, twenty year cash flow analysis and comparative economic analysis of these systems.
- Provide detailed cost estimating for building systems and energy efficient technologies.
- Perform analysis of day lighting, building controls and renewable energy technologies for cost and energy savings.
- Interest in Energy Efficiency Technology
- Experience with Excel and PowerPoint needed.
- Ability using life cycle cost analysis software including PowerDOEII is a plus