Students who are considering a major change into the College of Engineering must discuss this in person with an advisor in the College of Engineering. The advisor will certify that the student meets the criteria for immediate entry to the major or will set up a transition term for the student to satisfy the change-of-major criteria. Advisors will discuss the student’s ability to succeed in the desired program given the current academic record as well as the influence of changing major on the student’s ability to obtain a degree in the desired program within the traditional eight academic term time frame. Please contact Engineering Student Services at 617-373-2154 or stop by 220 Snell Engineering to set up an appointment with an advisor.
Any current Northeastern University student with an overall GPA of 3.200 or better and evidence of success in math / science courses is eligible for immediate entry into all majors within the College of Engineering.
Students with an overall GPA of 2.000 - 3.199, or students with an overall GPA of 3.200 or higher who do not show evidence of success in math / science courses must satisfactorily complete a provisional engineering semester, during which they will be required to complete a minimum of 16 credits and earn a semester GPA of 2.8 or better. Reduced course loads during a provisional semester must be discussed with and approved by an advisor in the College of Engineering at the beginning of the provisional semester. Coursework taken during the provisional semester may include the following courses:
- The next appropriate sequential calculus or mathematics course
(MATH 1341, 1342, 2321, or 2341 )
- The next appropriate sequential physics course
(PHYS 1151 / 1152 / 1153 or PHYS 1155 / 1156 / 1157)
- CHEM 1151 / 1153, General Chemistry / Recitation
- GE 1110, Engineering Design
- GE 1111, Engineering Problem Solving and Computation
** Please note **
- Beginning with entry into the Spring 2014 semester, students requesting a major change into the College of Engineering must do so a minimum of six weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Current College of Engineering students who wish to change to another Engineering Major should speak with their current academic advisor.
- Students who are part of the General Studies or Ujima Scholars programs should see their advisor to discuss admission into the College of Engineering.
- Students enrolled in the College of Professional Studies must apply to the College of Engineering as an external transfer student through the office of undergraduate admissions.