Dialogue of Civilizations trip to England, Summer 2 2019
What do weather prediction, the stock market, and phone call routing have to do with Isaac Newton, Alan Turing and Stephen Hawking? Come to England to find out!
England and the Scientific Revolutions
Instructor: Prof. Waleed Meleis
This Dialogue studies two revolutions in scientific thought: the Scientific Revolution of the 17th and 18th centuries and the computational revolution of the 20th century. From our base in London, we begin by exploring the Scientific Revolution and the work of Newton in England and trace the evolution of scientific thought from the 16th through 18th centuries. We study the natural connections between the history of science taking place during the Renaissance and the local environment through scientific outings to local museums, observatories, universities, laboratories and archaeological sites. We then contrast this material with key results scientific results from the 20th century, including chaos theory, computational complexity, logic, physics, quantum mechanics, and the theory of computation. Students will visit key historical, cultural and artistic sites in London, Cambridge, Oxford, and Greenwich.
Please RSVP to attend one of the upcoming information sessions to learn more about the trip:
Praise for Prof. Meleis's previous Dialogues is below.
Learn more and submit your application here:
Please also send email to email@example.com to be added to the mailing list for reminders and more information.
Waleed Meleis | Associate Professor and Associate Chair
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department | Northeastern University
404 Dana Research Center | 360 Huntington Avenue | Boston, MA 02115
firstname.lastname@example.org | http://www.ece.neu.edu/fac-ece/meleis.html
Student Feedback from previous Dialogues (2015-2017 in Italy)
• This dialogue was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had and I highly recommend this to everyone. I really appreciated our faculty leader for making this possible. Easily an activity that probably made my summer unforgettable and one of the best yet.
• Waleed is a great professor and is incredibly passionate about this trip. He has constructed a course that is not only interesting, but also accessible to people of different majors
• I was able to see a new culture and really immerse myself in a different a novel situation. I feel like I can talk about this experience for the rest of my life and I even want to come back as a TA so I can continue my experience in Italy
• Overall, it was truly an amazing experience! I know how much work goes into the logistics of these programs, and everything was really seamless.
• This trip to Italy was probably the single most fun thing I've ever done in my life, and I will treasure these memories forever
• Professor Meleis is probably one of greatest professors I have ever had. This was the first time this dialogue had been run, which I found very hard to believe because it was so well organized. He was very concerned for our safety and it was clear that he not only wanted us to enjoy our classes but to enjoy out time in the country.
• It was also amazing to note that the professor was interested in all the students having a meaningful and enjoyable experience.
• Professor Meleis was very passionate about the topic, and always encouraged class discussion.
• He is very passionate about the subject and wanted students to be able to develop and express their own ideas and discussion, which is very beneficial for learning
• Waleed spent over a year developing this Dialogue of Civilizations, so it was extremely planned out and thought through.
• One of the best experiences abroad and I felt like the places we stayed at were a second home. It allowed me to appreciate other cultures and see the world from a more global perspective.