NU Solar Boat is a student-run engineering club founded in 2009 that designs, builds and races a solar-powered boat. This club gives students a chance to apply concepts and skills they have learned in the classroom and during co-op. Some of these skills include, solid modeling, engineering design and analysis, teamwork, and machining. Relevent courses include Fluid Dynamics, Finite Element Analysis, Mechanics of Materials, and more.
They volunteer with Boston Family Boat Building to teach elementary school students about engineering, electricity, solar power, buoyancy, and boats.
Student Organization Advisor
- Overall Competition - 10th place in 2013, 2nd place in 2014
- Sprint Event - 8th place in 2011, 1st place in 2014
- Technical Report - 2nd place in 2013
- Visual Presentation - 1st Place in 2013, 3rd place in 2014
- Most Improved Team - 2014