ECE Professor Tommaso Melodia and co-PIs Associate Professors Kaushik Chowdhury, Stefano Basagni, and Assistant Professor Jose Angel Martinez-Lorenzo were awarded a $295K grant by the Office of Naval Research for their proposal on "PROTECT: A Millimeter-wave Programmable Radio platfOrm and Tactical wirelEss Communication Testbed" as part of DOD's Defense University Research Instrumentation Program (DURIP).
You are here
- Compressive sensing and modeling using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Computational methods for differential and integral equations
- Physics-based signal processing, imaging and optimization
- Radar system specification and design, including antenna optimization
- Subsurface scattering analysis in biomedical and geophysical applications
- Explosives detection: portal-based, standoff-based, and underground-based
- Multimodal breast cancer detection: x-ray and thermoacoustic-tomography
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Micro-sized microwave atmospheric sounding satellites
- PhD (2005), Electrical Engineering, University of Vigo (Spain)
- "Best Paper Award" on the 2012 IEEE Homeland Security Technology Conference, Waltham, MA, for the paper: "A Compressed Sensing Approach for Detection of Explosive Threats at Standoff Distances using a Passive Array of Scatters."
- First prize on the 2012 National Security Innovation Competition (NSIC). Advisor for students that presented our research project: "Next Generation Millimeter-Wave Body Imaging for Concealed Threat Detection," University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS).
- Paper featured in the cover page: J. G. Meana, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al, "DIRECT: deterministic radio-electric coverage tool," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 53(2):135–145, April 2011.
- Paper featured in the cover page: J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al. "ICARA: Induced Current Analysis of Reflector Antennas." IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 47(2):92–100, March 2005.
- Mathematical Methods for Engineers
- Statistics and Probability
- Electromagnetic and Acoustic Fields and Waves
- Antennas and Radiation
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers International (ASME)
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S)
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMB-S)
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (GRS-S)
- IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (AES-S)
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S)
- A.Molaei, A. Bisulco, L. Tirado, A. Zhu, D. Cachay, A.G. Dagheyan, and J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, 3D Printed E-Band Compressive Horn Antenna for Highsensing-capacity Imaging Applications, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2018, 1
- J.L. Crespo-Vázquez, C.J.C. Gonzalez, E. Diaz-Dorado, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, M. Noor-E-Alam, Evaluation of a Data Driven Stochastic Approach to Optimize the Participation of a Wind and Storage Power Plant in Day-Ahead and Reserve Markets, Energy 156(8), 2018, 278–291
- A.G. Dagheyan, C. Liu, A. Molaei, J.H. Juesas, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, Holey-Cavity-Based Compressive Sensing for Ultrasound Imaging, Sensors, 18(6), 2018, 1674
- J.H. Juesas, J.E. Thatcher, Y. Lu, J.J. Squiers, D. King, W. Fan, J.M. DiMaio, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, Burn-Injured Tissue Detection for Debridement Surgery through Non-Invasive Optical Imaging Techniques, Biomed Opt Express, 9(4), 2018, 1809–1826
- Y. Rodriguez-Vaqueiro, P. Paayam, R. Sipahi, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, Development of a Combined Time Frequency Technique for Accurate Extraction of pNN50 Metric from Noisy Heart Rate Measurements, International Journal of Intelligent Robotics and Applications, 2, 2018, 193–208
- A. Molaei, J.H.Juesas, W. Blackwell, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, Interferometric Sounding Using a Metamaterial-based Compressive Reflector Antenna, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 66(5), 2018, 2188–2198
Research Interests include:
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
MIE/ECE Assistant Professor Jose Martinez-Lorenzo, ECE Professor Tommaso Melodia, ECE Professor Kaushik Chowdhury, ECE/MIE Professor Hanumant Singh, and CCIS/ECE Affiliated Faculty Chris Amato were awarded a $1.5M Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) grant for "Robust Decentralized Classification and Coordination Algorithms for Swarms of SUAS."
Transportation Security Administration Administrator David Pekoske toured the Center for Awareness and Localization of Explosives-Related Threats (ALERT) on Friday to see if the technology...
406 Egan Center
424 Snell Engineering Center
335 The Fenway