The Methodist DeBakey Cardiovascular Journal (MDCVJ) reports on leading edge research, diagnosis, and treatments from specialists at the Houston Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center and...
You are here
- PhD, DSc, MS, Moscow State University
- J.R. Upponi, K. Jerajani, D.K. Nagesha, P. Kulkarni, S. Sridhar, C. Ferris, V.P. Torchilin, Polymeric micelles: Theranostic Co-Delivery System for Poorly-Soluble Drugs and Contrast Agents, Biomaterials, 170, 2018, 26-36
- A.Jhaveri, P.Deshpande, B.Pattni, V.P. Torchilin, Transferrin-Targeted, Resveratrol-Loaded Liposomes for the Treatment of Glioblastoma, Journal of Controlled Release 277, 2018, 89-101
- B.S. Pattni, A. Jhaveri, I. Dutta, J.D. Baleja, A. Degterev, V.P. Torchilin, Targeting Energy Metabolism of Cancer Cells: Combined Administration of NCL-240 and 2-DG, Int J. Pharm., 532, 2017, 149-156
- G. Salzano, D.F. Costa, C. Sarisozen, E. Luther, G. Mattheolabakis, P.P. Dhargalkar, V.P. Torchilin, Combination Therapy Targeting Both Cancer Stem-Like Cells and Bulk Tumor Cells for Imporved Efficacy of Breast Cancer Treatment, Cancer Biology Therapy, 17(6), 2016, 698-707
- J.R. Upponi, K. Jerajani, D.K. Nagesha, P. Kulkarni, S. Sridhar, T. Wang, B. Narayanaswamy, H. Ren, V.P. Torchilin, Mixed Nanosized Polymeric Micelles as Promoter of Doxorubicin and miRNA-34a Co-Delivery Triggered by Dual Stimuli in Tumor Tissue, Small, 12(35), 2016, 4837-4848
The efficacy of drug carriers (including liposomes) can be improved by coating them with certain polymers, thus making them long-circulating. Their properties might be still further improved when they are made targeted by attachment of a target-specific antibody. We are conducting an active research on such long-circulating and targeted pharmaceutical carriers for drugs and diagnostics in a variety of in-vitro and in vivo models. II. Many pharmaceutical micelles easily dissociate in vivo. We proposed to use amphiphilic polyethyleneglycol-lipid conjugates for preparing stable polymeric micelles for non-covalent incorporation and delivery of sparingly soluble drugs and diagnostic agents, and are currently investigating very interesting properties of these micelles in vitro and in vivo. III. We have shown that certain non-pathogenic anti-nuclear autoantibodies with nucleosome-restricted specificity are uniquely reactive against the surface of most tumor but not normal cells. Further studies revealed strong anti-tumor potential of these antibodies towards a broad spectrum of tumors. Being used intravenously in normal physiological concentrations, monoclonal antibody 2C5 dramatically inhibits aggressive EL4 T cell lymphoma and B16 melanoma in mice. We study currently the mechanism of mAb 2C5 action which seems to be connected with an antibody-mediated cellular cytotoxicity.
Research & Scholarship Interests
College Research Initiatives
21 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY18 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 12 different projects representing $600K dollars of investment in research.
At the Materials Research Society Fall Meeting in Boston, Northeastern featured a record 72 talks and posters. Poster Title Presenter Advisor 3D Magnetic Printing of Discontinuous Fiber Composites...