The Change of Major process pertains to current Northeastern University undergraduate day school students. Only NU undergraduate day school credentials are considered in the Change of Major process. Coursework completed prior to matriculation in the Northeastern undergraduate day school will not be considered.
Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor in the requested major. Program requirements and foundational coursework will be discussed at this time. Appointments may be made online through the myNortheastern appointment calendar.
College of Engineering Undergraduate Academic Advisors by Major:
- Chemical Engineering
Meghan Severance (Last Names A-K)
Lara Obadowski (Last Names L-Z)
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer & Electrical Engineering
Ellen Zierk (Last Names A-L)
Nicole Diamond (Last Names M-Z)
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Roy Dalsheim (Last Names A-G)
Katherine Bradley (Last Names H-N)
Laura Kenney (Last Names O-Z)
- Undecided Engineering (First-year only)
After meeting with an academic advisor, complete and submit this petition by the deadline for the term:
- October 26, 2018 – Deadline for students to apply for change of major effective Spring 2019
- March 22, 2019 – Deadline for students to apply for change of major effective Summer 1 2019
- June 28, 2019 – Deadline for students to apply for change of major effective Fall 2019
Academic records are reviewed at the end of the term in which a petition is submitted. Students will be notified after grades are posted.
A major change will be processed for students who meet direct admission criteria, effective the following term. After admission into the College of Engineering, students may register for courses restricted to College of Engineering students.
Direct Admission Criteria:
- Minimum cumulative Northeastern undergraduate day Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0
- Grade of B- or higher in one required math course as indicated in the current engineering curriculum
- Grade of B- or higher in one required science course as indicated in the current engineering curriculum
- No grade below C (2.0) in any math, science or engineering coursework as indicated in the current engineering curriculum
- No more than one deficiency (grade of F, I, W, U) in any previous math or science coursework as indicated in the current curriculum
- Grades from repeated math/science/engineering coursework will not be considered in determining eligibility for direct admission
Students who do not meet the direct admission criteria will be allowed a transitional term the following semester, while remaining in their home college. To be eligible for a transitional term, students must be in good academic standing, with a cumulative Northeastern undergraduate day GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Transitional term criteria:
- Complete a minimum of 12 semester hours (full-time student status)
- Complete the next appropriate math, science, and General Engineering in the curriculum.
Coursework taken during this semester must include one course from each row below:
- Earn a term GPA of 3.0 or higher during the semester in which these courses are taken, with no math, science or general engineering grade below a B-.
- Transitional term students must review their planned schedule with the academic advisor for their intended major and complete a Transitional Term Agreement Form.
Important Note: Only one term may be taken on a transitional basis. Students who do not achieve entry to the College of Engineering after a transitional term must have a discussion with their home college academic advisor to identify another major.