Position 1. Endovascular - Co-op
Aid with manufacturing process changes, TMV activities, as well as possibly product development tasks. May be involved in assisting with verification/validation activities of move to new building.
Will work closely with a technical team lead to carry out product development tasks including any of the following: creating concepts and designs, prototyping design evaluations, writing test methods and procedures, fabricating simple tooling and fixtures, and evaluating designs and equipment. The position will also help build product prototypes in the research lab to support product testing. This position will also be involved with shorter-term projects that include but are not limited to product testing, lab maintenance, and engineering documentation.
Educational Level Required:
Junior or senior enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Material Science Bachelor’s Degree program.
Intermediate Skills with Excel & Word, MS Visio and SolidWorks strongly preferred.
Position 2. Biomedical Engineering Design/Test Co-op
Co-op will be involved in research/design/testing of Small Joint/Shoulder/Knee or Capital Equipment product line components. This includes tissue resection instruments and pump products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The student will be mentored on the process of determining types of tests to be performed to adequately evaluate product performance.
- The student will apply principles that he or she has learned in school to hands-on situations, such as strength analysis, functional testing, failure analysis and documentation of results.
- The student will be responsible for research, testing & analysis and will receive progressive responsibility throughout his or her co-op.
- Will identify and recommend process improvements for consumable manufacturing and evaluation.
- Student will attend regular departmental meeting.
- Student will attend training sessions, symposiums, etc. as required.
- Will perform or review systems analysis, testing, and documentation for Capital consumable product line or the Knee & Hip product lines or the Small Joint Product lines or the Shoulder product lines.
- Participate in project team for assigned projects; analyze improvements and new product or applications and develops requirements and specifications with team.
- Works within specifications provided to meet project goals and objectives in a timely and accurate manner
- Effectively works with peers, project team members, and other departments in new product development, product line extensions, and product enhancements
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Enrolled as a full-time student pursuing a Bachelor's Degree with major in Mechanical, Biomedical or Electrical Engineering or related discipline. Must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing and possess the ability to work through technical issues.
- Machine, Tools, and/or Equipment Skills:
- Knowledge of surgical equipment and instrumentation, mechanical testing equipment, PC, ProEngineer or other 3D modeling software a plus.
Position 3. Biomedical Eng/Manufacturing Co-op
- Work in a cross-functional team to troubleshoot and improve novel drug delivery device
- Perform comprehensive analytical evaluation of devices through design failure dynamics
- Assist in prototype development including injection molding
- Working towards a BS in Bioengineering, Mechanical, Industrial, Chemical Engineering, or other manufacturing related degree
- 0-2 years’ experience in Biomedical Engineering design. Subject emphasis in experimental mechanics and solid mechanics a plus
- Possess a detailed and methodical approach to problem solving
- Proficient in English both spoken and written
- Beneficial Process Skills
- Working knowledge of machining, casting, and performance analysis
- Knowledge in mechanical principle of solids, test equipment, and test methods